Monday, June 7, 2010

Healthy curry in a hurry


It's late. It has been a long day of everything. By 10am I had organised a mover, sent off my FICA documents (no, I didn't know what those were either), spoke to a lawyer about crazy tenant, picked up my dry cleaning, spoken to my mortgage broker, been to the bank and taken in my torn clothes in for repair.

Rory came home for lunch which was a nice surprise and we had the left over chicken from last night - I love roasts on the second day, and it's great because he likes the dark meat and I like the breast, if you will. So no fighting over pieces.

Following this I went to my financial advisor in Sandton. GET THIS: On the corner of Grayston and West street where the Sandton Gautrain station is being built or is finished or whatever is a very busy intersection, especially during peak time. So the light is green and I am turning right thus in the middle of the intersection and a traffic cop shoots a red light, leaving me stranded in the middle of the road. I could not believe what happened and there was traffic coming at me from every which way. I say no more, I mean seriously!

I then spent two hours growing up fast and taking out life cover and a retirementanuity. Fun times indeed. We only got to the gym at 7:30pm but it was a great work out, the only trouble is that if I gym that late I land up wired when I get home till 1am. With this in mind, we needed a meal in a hurry. And nothing beats a great curry in a hurry in winter.

The problem with curries is that they are generally not healthy and are swimming in butter, oil and cream and are generally very fattening. So, I am going to give you a great curry recipe and again it is a cheat's curry but we will get onto a more complicated curry later on. In addition, you can swap the chicken for vegetables, prawns or beef. For your cheat's curry you will need:

SERVES 2

2 chopped onions
1 clove of chopped garlic
3 chicken breasts that have been cut into strips
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons of tomato paste
3 cardamom pods (crush these with the back of a knife to let the flavour out)
1 heaped teaspoon of turmeric
1 heaped tablespoon of curry powder (mild, medium or hot, depending on your taste)
1 heaped teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
a generous pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of soya sauce
a small head of broccoli with the stalks trimmed

Method
fry your onions in a little olive oil on a medium heat until soft
add your garlic and fry for a further minute
add your diced chicken breast and fry until the chicken is browned
add the tin of tomatoes and the tomato paste and stir in well
add the turmeric, curry powder, sugar, salt, soya sauce, balsamic vinegar and stir well
add the cardamom pods
throw in the broccoli, stir, cover and let simmer on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
Serve with rice (which I have given a fool proof method for in Rory's balsamic chicken recipe in May)

It is 11:20pm. Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment