Thursday, June 3, 2010

A gentle soup for a hard day! Tortellini soup with spring greens or spinach.


Wow. Today I have had to deal with the crazy-lunatic-I-am-on-the-brink tenant who currently resides in my new flat. This lady is a whole new kind of crazy to me. I have bought the flat, she won't let the ABSA Bank conveyancer in to give final approval for the loan nor will she allow me in for 10 minutes on Saturday morning so I can measure up for curtains and get the builder to give me a quote. I have seen this flat for all of 10 minutes and have not been near the flat since and the way she is responding, you'd think I had camped outside her door for the past 2 weeks, constantly knocking to be let it. So we are about to slap her with a lawyers letter. Revenge is best served cold, even though it is expensive and time-consuming in this case.

In addition, the doctors appointment I booked 2 months ago was not running 1 hour late, but 2 (with thanks to an emergency procedure) and add that to the mix of a host of crazy things today and you have the makings of Thursday night being the new Friday. Alas I have 2 days of work to catch up on so it'll be phuza-soda water Thursday for me.

Anyhow, I am (thank the lord) meeting a girlfriend for drinks at The Attic (always a little dangerous) and then off to Wolves for some cool-kid action. I am afraid I feel way too old to even pull off cool - but my rather drop-dead gorgeous friend can with ease, despite being the same age.

So as I work and rush out (and go out I must even though I am swamped but I fear I may go nuts), I thought a quick simple dinner of soup would be a good idea. Now I know this is the third soup recipe ya'll have read but in winter, it truly makes for the healthiest, filling meal option and this one is a particular gem because it is super quick to prepare. And it is a cheat soup, but at no point did I say we would be making everything from scratch. These recipes are to fit in with life which is rushed and never goes according to plan.

For your cheat tortellini and spring green soup you will need:
(serves 2 and can be adapted)

1/2 packet of tortellini with a filling of your choice (fresh pasta is best and spinach and ricotta tortellini is recommended)
2 cups of shredded spring greens / spinach / swiss chard
1 cup of frozen peas
1 bunch of spring onions chopped
2 vegetable stock cubes
1/2 chopped onion
pinch of salt

Method:

Gently fry your chopped onion till soft
Dissolve your stock cubes in 1 cup of boiling water
Pour over onions and gently simmer for 5 minutes
Add peas
Add greens
Add 2 more cups of water
Stir and add your tortellini
Add salt to taste...remember you can put in but you can't take out!
Gently simmer for 5 minutes
Spoon soup into dish and garnish with spring onions

Voila. It looks impressive too!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing! I am considering this for the spoiling of the boyfriend (who is a soup fiend!)...speaking of which, what about a competition for the best soup restaurant in Jozi? x

    ReplyDelete