Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sorry, is that my ring I just dropped in your cream? Sage butter sauce for ravioli


Oops. I have managed to squander today away and I REALLY should be working seeing I will be cramming 30 days into 15 during December with shop shutting on the 15th. I have well and truly hit a wall. However, as a fellow PR colleague put it 'you can't be expected to be a machine 365 days a year'. And as I have discovered over 14 years of being in PR, I am just a glorified sales woman and I am over it at the moment.

If I were to be completely honest with you, I have not been cooking all that much of late and have been eating out way too often. This being said, I work on my own ALL day unless I have to pop into a publishing stable, a radio or telly interview and seeing people in the evening and getting out of the house is essential for my sanity and general well-being of my clients and their respective portfolios.

As it has been a couple of weeks since I cooked, I am going to take you back to a rather fun dinner party I went to a few Sundays ago. I will gloss over the fact that I dropped R1000 on a beautiful ring called '3rd time lucky' (I had to have it) on this particular evening as I chatted to the jewelry designer who lived in the cottage and get to the point of the story which is of course, food.

As I arrived, my host called me to the kitchen and said he needed my help. He showed me the fresh butternut and sage ravioli he bought and asked if he should add marinated artichokes, asparagus and pesto to the sauce. Ummmm NO!!!! When it comes to delicate flavours like sage with pasta, my motto is simple: KISS (keep it simple, stupid). He was so proud of his freshly bought pesto, bless him, all decanted and looking hand-made in a clay ramekin that I had to dig deep to tell him it wasn't really the right combination. The only sauce for this pasta that is appropriate and fitting is sage and butter, for which you will find the recipe for below.

And then came dessert. I caught Greg whipping cream for strawberries with 2 forks as I walked into the kitchen and thought it rather curious. In my slightly merry state, I told him his technique was all wrong and I would take over. Mistake. As I motioned to remove my ring to whip, I dropped it right into the middle of the bowl of cream. His face was a picture and I was a laughing hysterical mess on the kitchen floor, needless to say that the cream did not get the intended whipping it needed. I suppose you had to be there to fully appreciate the moment but I have not laughed that hard in a very long time.

So Greg, a little later than it should be, this is the sage butter sauce you should grace all over your butternut ravioli.

Sage and Butter Sauce (perfect marriage for butternut ravioli - serves 4)

3 tablespoons of salted butter
2 good handfuls of roughly chopped sage
1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt to taste

Method

Melt the butter on a medium heat till it sizzles

Add the nutmeg and chopped sage and saute until the sage is slightly brown

Pour over the ravioli and add salt to taste

Serve immediately before butter cools

Finish off with parmesan cheese

Voila - couldn't be more simple

No comments:

Post a Comment