Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rory's 'seriously simple mix in a bowl' Balsamic Chicken


So Rory cooked tonight, albeit bloody late as he went to the gym and only got home at 8pm (not that I want to appear ungrateful) but at this point I would have eaten his hand. I have been busy with mortgage brokers, accountants and PR recons the whole day and have lost my will to live. And cook tonight.

My first meal cooked by Rory was nothing if not random. He was so keen to impress, bless him. He still is but having lived with me for a year his cooking skills have improved 1000 fold. He really has become quite good). Picture it, a tin of Stoney ginger beer, a packet of brown onion soup and a couple of chicken breasts. Hmmm, not your average meal you think. I left him to potter in the kitchen and when he opened the oven all I saw was chicken breasts boiling in ginger beer. I winced (on the inside) and on the outside I smiled adoringly at him and said, "that looks amazing, baby". I ate it and coed and aaah-ed. Oh dear. But just like I have become ok with waking up next him with crazy bed-hair, so I feel equally comfortable at telling him where he is going wrong in the kitchen.

Anyhow, we have come a long way and if Rory is cooking dinner, he will research for the day what the best thing is to cook given the ingredients we have at home. Today he Googled "simple chicken recipes" and came up with this on his own which he served with rice. He also threw some Mediterranean vegetables into the dish with the chicken which he did all on his own accord (I am starting to feel a little threatened). Your Mediterranean veg can include anything from courgettes, to brinjal to mushrooms but MUST have onion and sun-dried tomato.

Here's how he did it:


Ingredients

# 4 Boneless chicken breasts
# 1/3 Cup of balsamic vinegar
# 1/2 Cup of chicken broth
# 2 Tablespoons of White sugar
# 1 Teaspoon of italian seasoning
# 1 Teaspoon of salt shopping list
# 1 Tablespoon of Minced garlic
# Chopped vegetables of your choice MUST INCLUDE ONE SLICED ONION

Method

* Mix all ingredients in a bowl
* Marinate chicken for 10 minutes on each side in the refrigerator
* Cook chicken in a pan over medium heat for 5 minutes a side or until cooked through
* Lower heat and pour in the marinade and simmer chicken for 5 minutes per side
* Place in oven proof dish with veg and cover with foil
* Place in oven for 30 mins on a low heat (160c degrees )


THE SECRET TO PERFECT RICE (serves 2)

Rinse rice well to remove the starch. This means you will have to rinse it about 3 times
Pour one cup of rice into a pot
Cover with 2 and a half cups of water
Add a generous pinch of salt
Boil on a low heat so it simmers gently for about 25-30 mins or until most of the water has evaporated
Remove the pot off the heat and cover the pot with a dish-cloth that has been double folded
*Ensure that the entire circumference of the pot is covered otherwise the rice will not steam
Once pot has been covered with the dish-cloth, leave it for about 7-10 minutes
You will be guaranteed fluffy, light rice. Voila

Good night folks. Much PR business to be getting on with tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I do this late at night. Please forgive me my grammar and spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete